Saturday, August 1, 2026

a u g u s t . 2 0 2 6

summer is bringing the heat

gathered with friends in fun places

     we regularly get lots of event opportunities all over California for meetups with the various regions where our pink sisterhood gather.  there are at least 5 groups around my area!  we just hit 4000 sisters in our all-Cali FB group!!  our group leader hosted an event down in the bay area, in the east bay, on the first Saturday of the month; and another group leader hosted a wine-tasting event the same afternoon, after the lunch - across the bay!  well who could pass up an opportunity to meet with two groups of sisters with only a bay between, I ask you?!  so for lunch we gathered at the east bay Texas Roadhouse, then drove across the bay to San Carlos for wine tasting at a lovely winery and tasting room!  I gave two of the ladies who ride-shared there a ride back to their hotel.  they had traveled far enough (from the central valley) that they planned to stay overnight.  they had a third party there - to which they invited me (but I had to decline) - and from all accounts that party was the rowdiest and went on for some time!  I made the long trek home and poured myself into bed to get rest before the next excursion on Sunday. 
     on Sunday I travelled back up to Woodland again, to our favorite Mojo Kitchen, to join the "50th Reunion Committee" of Kermit and Robert.   again we had a long conversation of reminiscing and catching up on our separate activities!  they got me laughing so hard I was in tears!  it felt good to be able to make them laugh too, laughing at me.  just like old times.  
 
 
      and as if I didn't already pack in three activities into two days when temps were over 100 degrees all weekend, no I also planned to attend a 4:30 matinee of my fave musical Newsies at the little local community theater!  it was just as wonderful as it was on preview night, and I congratulated several of the performers after the show.  it was so hot I got a Ben&Jerry butter pecan ice cream cone to eat in the theater, and had it finished by the opening curtain.  after the show I stopped at the Fat Rabbit Pub and got fish&chips for a late supper.  it will be awhile before I'm out and about again.

     with referrals by my oncologist and surgeon, I was able to schedule plastic surgery to remove more of the fat tissue around the original mastectomy site.  I needed to squeeze it in soon since recovery time before the wedding in September was going to be tight.   everything when smoothly, and I was in and out in a couple of hours.  she removed 3 more pounds of unnecessary tissue.   five days later Finn had successful installation of ear tubes.  hopefully this will help him hear better and have far fewer ear infections.  just like Joyce.  for the one week re-check, Craig was working so I took the bus (not allowed to drive yet) to the surgeon's office - - 10 miles but nearly an hour on two different bus routes!  luckily the recheck went well so I don't need to do that again any too soon!  the re-check doctor said I could drive short distances if I needed to.  
 
     Joyce and I lost another theater friend this month, someone we'd known for a number of years, who had a loving and generous presence each time we saw her.  I was blessed to act on stage with her in 1776 - we would usually be up for the same parts in auditions so rarely played onstage together - and it was a joy to be able to see her from time to time in audiences around town.  Sadly, lately, the last time I saw her was at another celebration of life.  I will always remember Becky for her generous soul.  

     had several old apples nearly turning so I made a batch of apple butter - - so delicious!  I used date molasses instead of sugar, so it was mildly healthier than a commercial product. 

     we lost the wonderful Dolly Parton this month.  what an international legend and generous soul.  I watched the Grand Ol' Opry tribute to her at the end of the month.  talk about a tear-jerking production!  

     the Recovering After Cancer Lifestyles classes my onco recommended several months ago finally started at the end of the month.  luckily I had already started so many of the processes that the classes will be teaching, and had lost a few pounds before the big event next month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment