Monday, February 16, 2015

2 0 1 5 - j a n u a r y . f e b r u a r y

january

we started rehearsals for Little Mermaid Jr. with our 52 kids.


our costumer entrusted me with design and construction of the seaweed boa that the sea-witch swishes!
...oh and I also helped out on a BUNCH of the other costumes as well.  hey, I'm already sitting in the lobby for most rehearsals, I may as well keep busy doing something productive!

took a day off from work and attended the final Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Train Ride in the country, from San Jose to San Francisco.  then we joined the other marchers to walk the 4-1/2 miles to the MLK Jr. Memorial, where several people gave speeches.  caught the train back in the late afternoon after a very enjoyable event.  even got to shake hands with a Tuskeegee Airman, as I thanked him for his service!



this year has already started out with some losses to our theatre family. Janet and I played at the memorial service for the inspiration for our band. another was one of our fellow players from high school.  my favorite wig lady lost her battle with her illness.  and another friend died most unexpectedly at the very young age of 57.  attending his Celebration of Life was like seeing a who's who of local theatre talent - he was beloved by many at several theatre companies.

caught a production of Tuesdays with Morrie - the two performers were perfectly cast in their roles.  they had me laughing and crying the entire show.  met two young people seated behind me who are also passionate about the theatre.  it's so nice to meet the next generation of terrific performers.

february

instead of watching the super bowl with two teams I care absolutely nothing for, I was a water holder at a fun run that raised funds for a local park.  then I caught a performance of Curtains starring a bunch of my friends.  I wrapped up the day at a Mermaid rehearsal.

on another evening I ushered for a performance of Maple &Vine; as I was waiting for the doors to open, one of the performers told me he recognized my voice from somewhere!  he never did remember before it was time to leave.  also caught the preview performance of Fix Me Jesus.  

on Friday the 13th I went to The San Jose Improv and caught David Alan Grier's early show.  he started calling me grandma and hi-5ing me, and toward the end of his show he brought me up on stage to sing his signature TeddyP song, "You Are My Super Bowl"  - very fun!  of course I waited afterward to get my picture taken with him.



the Symphony Silicon Valley had a performance of several pieces from the two Fantasia movies, where they showed the video of the songs on a screen above the musicians.  it was a tremendous production!  and the encore was my favorite vignette of all, the Camille Saint-Saens "Carnival of the Animals" yoyo flamingo.  ran into another person who recognized me, and I her, but we neither of us could remember from where.  I had to get all these shows in during the first two weeks of February since we open Mermaid on the 20th.  I won't have time to see anything until we close on March 8.

...although ... since Mondays are now freed up, started band practice with our local community band, and I sit next to my sister who bought her own French Horn so we can play first and second horn together!  it will be so awesome!!  our concert will be in mid-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment