Sunday, May 3, 2015

m a r c h . a p r i l . 2 0 1 5

m a r c h

found a half-price ticket online and took advantage of seeing one of my favorite movies-turned-musicals Newsies in The City on a Tuesday night.  I've loved the movie ever since Joyce and I watched it on Disney channel when she was young, but this production takes it even beyond that.  so glad I had this opportunity!  not even a horrible drive from work to the theatre could dampen the experience.



wrapped up the production of Little Mermaid Jr.  I hand-made mermaid dolls as mementos for my fellow-co-producers (here is Marcie with one of the two.)

at the end of the production I also resigned from the board, so I would have more time for family, and for me too.  got to look after my own health so I can be there for others.  the board thanked me for my years of service with hugs and some tears, and with a box of hand-made flamingo cookies!

although before I leave the theatre completely, one of my fellow players from Best Little W----house in Texas asked me to be in a short production (one performance only) of a skit he wrote.  the skit is interwoven with barbershop songs performed by a local group.  my character is the long lost love of the character played by the scriptwriter.

I was also enlisted to help with costumes for the final show of the season, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, which has a steampunk theme to the entire show.  that was very fun, adding caribiners to petticoats and the like!  caught a performance downtown of some talented kids in another of my fave musicals, Jekyll & Hyde.  also saw a number of friends in a very cute production of The Boyfriend which is also one of the earliest musical productions I saw live in downtown San Jose in 1973.

Joyce and I went downtown one weeknight and caught a series of comics at the Improv; they were filming a segment for Netflix, so we had to 'act' half the time so that they'd get great footage for the show.  the comics were great too, and we met three of them after the show: Stoney, Garrett, and Shaun (from the Mighty Ducks movies).
 

  

besides being a great place to work, my company makes opportunities for the employees that are great!  I got the chance to stand inches away from these symbols of sports excellence!
 

april 

our theatre friend Angel was in town for a few days - sadly to attend a funeral - but he was able to visit with Joyce and I at a local mall, and we all had dinner together.  good times!  so glad to see him as he's stationed in Kentucky and doesn't get here as often as we would like.  but we are proud he is serving.

Joyce got accepted into the MBA program at SFSU, so after ushering for a Drood performance, we joined family and friends at a local brewery to celebrate!  Passover and Easter passed without fanfare.  saw Drood once more and reconnected with an old friend and player from Grand Hotel!

after our short rehearsal schedule (for our 15 minutes of skit between 40 minutes of barbershop) we finally performed our fun, funny, silly little show.  my character's name was Daisy, long lost love of Harry; Jack is my son and Penny is Harry's daughter.  we all run off to Disneyland together at the end (hence my final costume piece which hangs in the background.)
 

I got tickets for Joyce and a theatre peep to join me at the 9ers Draft Party.  a new venue, new logistical challenges (an hour in line for a beer!) but it was a lot of fun with enjoyable company.  the floor show was pretty funny too (here were people participating in a dance-off.)


No comments:

Post a Comment